Trustees Michael White and Barry Hawkins have repaired and refurbished the old horse drawn Cambridge roller which has been lying in brambles for a number of years. It was probably manufactured in the late 1800’s so now is probably almost 140 years old.
The old timber frame was removed and the old bolts cut off with an angle grinder. New oak timbers were measured and drilled to accept the new bolts and were fixed into position. The towing beam was then bolted to the new frame and two bracing struts cut and fixed.
The final job will be to move the roller to a new position to display it more prominently as this machine is a feature of the Green and part of its agricultural history.
The above photograph shows the refurbished roller